1、 Appearance of coil spring
Soon, the spring made according to this principle for clocks and watches was also invented by Hooke himself. The spring that conforms to Hooke's law is the real spring. Disc spring was invented by Belleville, a Frenchman. It is a washer type spring with truncated cone-shaped section made of metal sheet or forged blank. After the emergence of modern industry, in addition to disc springs, new springs such as gas springs, rubber springs, scroll springs, mold springs, stainless steel springs, air springs, and memory alloy springs also appeared.
2、 Classification of coil springs
1. According to the different load characteristics, the coil spring can be divided into three types: compression, tension and torsion;
2. According to the structural characteristics, it can be divided into two categories: cylindrical coil spring and variable diameter coil spring; The variable diameter coil spring mainly bears compression load;
3. According to its shape characteristics, it can be divided into conical shape, scroll shape, concave shape and convex shape.
4. In terms of production and use, coil springs can also be divided into two types according to different forming methods and material diameters: large coil springs and small coil springs; The former is usually hot formed and the latter is cold formed.
5. In other categories, there are many types of coil springs, which can be divided into: ordinary cylindrical coil springs; Variable diameter coil spring.
According to the spiral direction, it can be divided into: left-hand spring; Right hand spring. Variable diameter coil spring is divided into conical coil spring, volute coil spring and concave coil spring. Cylindrical spiral spring has simple structure, convenient manufacture and wide application. Its characteristic line is a straight line, which can be used as compression spring, tension spring and torsion spring. When the load is large and the radial size is limited, two compression springs with different diameters can be sleeved together to form a combination.
3、 Function of coil spring
1. Control the movement of machinery, such as valve spring in internal combustion engine, control spring in clutch, etc.
2. Absorb vibration and impact energy, such as buffer springs under cars and trains, vibration absorbing springs in couplings, etc.
3. Store and output energy as power, such as clock spring, spring in firearms, etc.
4. Used as a force measuring element, such as a force measuring device, a spring in a spring scale, etc. The ratio of load to deformation of the spring is called spring stiffness. The greater the stiffness, the harder the spring is.